price from 33 €
Bog shoe hike in Laukasoo bog, in the Pähklisaare Nature Reserve
Laukasoo’s appeal lies in the fact that there are no trails and, thus, we are able to traverse places that people might often not happen upon. We will be exploring the diverse swamp landscape and admiring arresting bog lakes, where you can swim, should the desire arise. We will also be looking for evidence of the numerous animals and birds (such as the wood grouse and the common crane) inhabiting this area. During the course of the trek, we will also be visiting Pähklisaar, covered with aspens, that has given the name for the whole reserve. Depending on the season, we will be picking cloudberries or cranberries which are in abundance in this bog. We will also be exploring the horticulture peat field situated in the western part of the bog and discussing the impact and sustainability of the peat industry.
Swamps and bogs are landscapes typical to Estonia. Bog-trekking is the best way for exploring these peculiar habitats, for bog shoes enable you to go where regular boots may not.
- The length of the trip: 2-6 km/3-4 h, depending on the particular interests of the group and the desired tempo
- Sights: bog, bog lakes, forest, horticulture peat field
- Group size: 2-6 people (ask for an offer if coming alone; 6+ as a special order)
- Price: from 33 €/person (the exact price depends on the size of the group – contact us!)
- Transport: a free door-to-door transport from Tartu
- Location: 25 km/30 min from Tartu
- Food: not included in the price
- Language: English/Estonian
NB! All our hikes and trips are for small groups, which means that: a) with the help of a personal approach we might really learn something new; b) there is a greater chance of noticing someone in the wilderness; and c) we will not be leaving a noticeable trace behind.
NB2! This hike is completely off the beaten track that means there will be no access to supporting infrastructure (prepared hiking trail, toilets etc).
- There is an old saying in Estonia: “There is no bad weather, just inadequate clothing.” The choice of right clothing is one of the prerequisites of a pleasant hiking experience.
- When it comes to hiking clothes in Estonia, the key word is definitely layers! You can remove and add layers as the journey progresses and should the weather change. It is recommended to bring a raincoat or a jacket even in the summer to protect yourself from unexpected bouts of rain. The most suitable shoes are closed, waterproof shoes that you can walk in on a wet bog surface.
- In the summer, we recommend that you bring swimwear and a towel, as we may come across scenic forest lakes or bog ponds that just might encourage a quick dip. You should also bring some food and water to drink. We will also be offering you some local snacks and hot herbal tea.